Tuesday 23 November 2010

Review: The Adoration of Jenna Fox

The Adoration of Jenna Fox 
by Mary E Pearson
 
Genre: Sci-Fi > Dystopian
Age Group: 13+
Publisher: Allen and Unwin
Release Date: February 2009
Format: Paperback, 264 pages
ISBN-13: 9781741756401

Cover love?
Left- AUS Cover, Right - US Cover
I love both - but the AUS cover perfectly conveys that sense of secrecy, dystopia and questioning identity throughout the book. 

Synopsis
'Why can I remember the details of the French Revolution but I can't remember if I ever had a best friend?'

Jenna Fox wakes from a coma following a devastating accident, her memory a blank. One day she can't walk; the next she can. One day her right eyelid droops; the next day it doesn't. Her parents call her recovery a miracle - but at what cost has it come? What are they hiding from her? And why does her grandmother, Lily, hate her so?

Who is Jenna Fox?

A gripping, utterly engrossing dystopian thriller set in a future that may be closer than we think.



Review


I adore this book. It's one of the most thought-provoking dystopian novels I have ever read, and to my knowledge, it is also a novel taught in schools. I opened this book expecting a story about identity crisis or amnesia, but this book went beyond that, and Mary E Pearson delivered a highly intelligent,  futuristic and thrilling story that I will always remember.

The writing is not very poetic or flowery, nor is it choppy, reely or overly descriptive. The words flows well, and the conversational tone of the narrator, Jenna, draws the reader right into the story, making them feel a part of it. Some sentences are short, but they are used in moderation, and this is effective in making Jenna feel like a real person to the reader.

Jenna is also a great character. The reader shares her journey into discovering what she has become after she wakes up. We feel, through her, the mixed emotions she has towards towards two very different boys, towards her parents and her grandmother. Reading The Adoration of Jenna Fox is a journey in itself.

What stands out most to me is the compelling concept of this book. The plotline is a recipe for success, with a dystopian setting, authentic characters, a touch of romance, and a killer twist that leaves the reader lost for words. I don't want to spoil the dramatic twist, but for me, it came completely unexpected, taking my breath away and fulfilling my thirst for more science and technology in novels.

Endlessly intriguing and thoroughly captivating, The Adoration of Jenna Fox explores ethically ambiguous territory while delivering a heartfelt tale of identity and belonging. It's one of my all-time favourites.

Rating: