Friday 17 December 2010

Plot or Characters? Friday Meme!

Book Blogger Hop

Follow Friday is hosted by Parajunkee, where bloggers spread the love by following each other. Book Blogger Hop is hosted by Jennifer at Crazy-For-Books, where book bloggers can "connect with other book lovers, make new friends, support each other, and generally just share our love of books!"


Question: What did you study in college, or are currently studying and did it lead to your current 9 to 5 or are you doing something totally different?
I am actually still in high school, and the Australian version of college is "university". So I'm not in uni yet, although it's not too far off. And I'm still utterly confused as to what I want to do with my life. I feel like I should aim to do medicine/health sciences, or something equally as prestigious, but I'm not sure if that's something I could spend the rest of my life doing. I'd love to be able to be a doctor, but I can't imagine myself in the same career for my entire life. I feel like there's so many years ahead, so much potential for more, and that I would just be wasting Any tips?

Question: What do you consider the most important in a story: the plot or the characters?
Wow, tough question! They're usually intertwined - all elements of a good story, and each could not survive without the other.
A good plotline really carries the story, makes it stand out from all the rest. I feel that there is less variation between characters in YA, and many tend to have similar characteristics that make them appeal to the target audience. The characters kind of become what they need to be in order to fulfil the author's plot idea. When I look at it that way, the plot is more important.
But then a good story with bad characters, and by a bad character, I don't mean the character necessarily has to be evil or have bad intentions, but they may be too perfect - a "Mary Sue" or "Gary Stue" - or simply not well-rounded. They won't stick in my head, and I won't really identify with them at all. Anyway, good plots with bad characters can only go so far.
What I'm trying to say is that these two elements come hand-in-hand. But think of all the elements of a good story as little gears in a clock. If one goes missing, or is damaged, then the clock ceaes to function. A good clock is one with all gears in tune, just as a good story is one where all elements are present and well-thought out.



Recently on Book Couture: 
Leave a comment below so I can check out your blog and follow, and please take the time to check out some of my recent posts.